Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Teaching Courage

I have posted in the past about how much Cal fears the dark and being alone.  He has mastered this at times with many different techniques.  However, it seems that as soon as he's mastered it, he comes to a situation where he gets scared again, and we begin the battle again.  Currently, we're in the, "I just don't want to be in my room alone" phase all over.  So as to conquer it, each time he goes in there alone, he chants, "I will not fear." over and over again.  It breaks my heart that he battles fear.  But it also makes my heart smile when I hear him chanting this statement.

We are trying to instill in him the message of Psalm 27.  "The Lord is my light and my salvation - whom shall I fear?  The Lord is the stronghold of my life - of whom shall I be afraid?  When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall.  Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident."

I was chatting with a friend the other day and we were sharing similar stories.  Her son is just a few months younger than Cal and they have become friends in their class at church.  She was sharing with me that maybe one day our boys are going to have to display a tremendous amount of courage.  One day they may come up against things (I believe things in the spiritual realm) and they will need God's strength and power to display Godly courage.  This is our job as parents.  To equip them.  To ready them for what God has for them.  Not only things of this world, but things not of this world too.

Therefore, something that can be so irritating at times, like "I just don't want to go in my room alone" is something way bigger than just that.  We must prepare our children so they can stand firm in their faith and walk without fear.  We are teaching Calvin to trust that Jesus is for him, and anything "scary" in his room must flee at the light that he carries with him into any room.  Jesus' light.

No comments: