Cal is pretty much trained! I can not believe it, actually. Since he was born, I put 3 years in my head and just figured we'd start around that time. The girls were both trained by 2, but all I had heard was that boys take a lot longer. So in order to not disappoint and frustrated myself (and probably Cal too!) I tucked away age 3 to be the magic number.
A few months ago, Cal would yell "Potty" as he was going in his dipe. So I thought we'd try the same method we used with the girls. Let them go nakey for a few days at home so they'd realize the "feeling" and the result! It worked. Cal has been telling us every time he has to go potty for a while now. "I have to go potty, Mom!" He has a soft Bob the Builder seat (that I had to order online) and he loves it! We trained him sitting down, not knowing if that was the right thing to do or not, but hey, it worked!
Now poops was another story. But one day this week, I caught the dance and the serious face, and ran him to the Bob seat. He kept saying he didn't have to go, but with many stories and silly songs of distraction, he went! Then he screamed, "I DID IT MOMMY! I WENT POOPS IN THE TOILET! NO POOPS IN MY UNDIES, MOMMY!" I gave him an entire fun size bag of peanut M&M's! (For potties, he gets 3 mini M&M's) I was so incredible thrilled. If you know me well, you know I don't do poops. I haven't changed that many poopy dipes in my motherhood career. Mike does the majority because I'll gag and lose it! So this is a HUGE accomplishment! A life saver actually! He hasn't had any accidents all week.
The best part about this whole business is the fact that boys have it easy! If we're out and about, we just have to pull over, have him lean on the edge of the door and he can go potty on the spot! No mad dashes to discusting bathrooms or having to bring the port-a-seat in the van. You mothers of only boys....you don't know how freeing this really is, until you train a girl! LOL
4 comments:
WTG, Cal! That is awesome. We are definitely on the short bus when it comes to potty training. HAHA.
Congratulations!!! That's awesome, Jeni (and Cal)! (: Uh-oh, sounds like I'm in for it w/ potty-training Madison in a couple years, huh? Yikes!!
Jenny
Excellent! And very encouraging to me who's already thinking ahead to potty training days...glad to hear the boy wasn't as rough as all the books say :-)
I'm so jealous! Well, sort of. Jackson was easy, although he was 3 but Ryan has been very difficult, but, knock on wood, we have finally made it! Now, we just have to get through the night! Congrats to you and Cal!
Post a Comment