He's done with this NaNa. I can't believe how smooth it was. I have heard/read/done a lot of different ways in which to tackle this milestone, but none of them seemed suited to Calvin. Turning them in for a toy wouldn't work because he is not "into" anything specifically and there's no way he would willingly give them up. Therefore, sending them off with balloons would be a nightmare of hysterics. I've mentioned these things to him in the past and the discussion is met with a blatant, "No Mommy." I snipped the ends off of two of them a couple of weeks ago and he replied with, "Mommy, it's broken. It doesn't work. I want the other one." He then threw those ones in the trash. I thought this was going to be the way to go. I just wasn't sure when I wanted to do it. I think part of this is me. Having him let go of the pacifier means he's a big kid now. I don't want to admit that. He'll always be my "baby" but this makes him much less of a baby.
Last night, I hadn't thought through this at all. It just came out of my mouth. It was obviously God. It went something like this:
ME: So Cal, we're going to bed with no NaNa tonight, ok?
CAL: No NaNa?
ME: Yea, because NaNa's are for babies and your a big boy now.
CAL: Babies like Baby Logan?
ME: Yep. Ya know Cal, if you go to sleep with no NaNa tonight, there might be a surprise waiting for you in the morning!
CAL: A surprise? Like a present? What could it be Mom?
ME: I don't know. Do you think you can do it though?
CAL: Ok Mom. Maybe it will be a rocket ship? or a Bob the Builder? or a tool belt?
ME: Maybe Bud. Let's go night nights.
He went to bed without a peep. It was late as we had taken the kids to a movie earlier. Within 5 minutes he was out. Could this really be it? Yep. So, Mike ran out to our local 24 hour Walmart to get a surprise! We wrapped it up and placed it on the floor by his bed. He slept through the night without one noise.
I really thought this was too good to be true. Like it's going to come back to bite me today at naptime, or bedtime. We went for a long bike ride and park stop today so he didn't have a nap, but he just went down a bit ago without a peep. He didn't mention his NaNa even once today. And at bedtime tonight, he said oh and my NaNa Mommy. I said, "No, no NaNa." and that was the end of it. He's out. Seriously, I'm still in shock. Like, what about tomorrow's nap? Surely there will be tears. We shall see...
2 comments:
Wesley said to Cal: See, it wasn't so bad after all, huh?
so what was his surprise?
Post a Comment