Saturday, April 30, 2011

Update on Me

It has now been 5 1/2 months since the car accident.  I have been out of work since November.  It's just crazy to think back to then.  I can put myself right in the moment of the accident and remember clearly my first thoughts.  Never did it enter my mind that it would keep me from working, and keep me feeling pain on and off for this long.  I have had some really good days, many more as the time has gone by, but there are still days that I feel like it just happened yesterday.  It is going to take time to heal, as I've said before.

I did however, meet with a spine specialist a couple weeks back and she was wonderful!  She took my MRI and x-ray images and explained them to me in detail.  Novel, right?!  She really affirmed many things God has placed on my heart through all this.  Who knew.

I will not be returning to Kindergarten this school year.  My back and neck simply cannot handle the physical stress of it yet.  A typical whiplash injury can take between 6-9 months to fully heal.  Since my injury is a bit more severe than whiplash, but my healing is going well, I am well within the range for full healing to eventually happen.  Thank GOD.

As for now, I am trying to do more and more things.  Slowly....very slowly.  I've been instructed to be very aware of the difference between pain and discomfort.  Pain is bad.  Discomfort is part of the healing process.  I am now very good at distinguishing what causes which one and what I can and cannot do.  I was advised to ride bikes with the kids little bits at a time, as long as there is no pain.  Definitely not to do it every day, but little bits here and there will help me on the healing road.  So glad I have my wonderful Cruiser allowing me to sit up straight while I ride! ;)

We went to Six Flags last week and it was fun!  As always.  We love our season passes, and I love them even more now.  We do parts of the park and don't have to feel like we have to cram it all in in one day.  We can always go back another day!  I love that!  It is not nearly as fun to sit and watch the kids on the rides that I so want to go on, but one day I will be on them again.  Hopefully one day soon!

No comments: