Saturday, February 19, 2011

GUM

That's what we call it in the education world.  GUM...Grammar Usage and Mechanics.  I always struggled with grammar in grade school.  Trying to memorize all the usages and such.  I hated writing.  Despised it, actually.

I used to think that being an adult, I've grown to use grammar; in speech as well as text in a much more appropriate manner.  I always thought it was just something that happens as you become an adult.  Lately however, I don't think it has anything to do with becoming an adult.  It has everything to do with being aware of how you speak and write.  I think phones play a big part in this lack of proper usage as well.  BUT, I'll tell you when I use my phone to text or comment on something, I normally use proper grammar.  I hate to use text-speak.  You know, "u" vs you or "r" vs are.  Most phones now days have a button for each letter, making it simple to spell your words properly.  I highly recommend it.

I have grown more and more irritated with poor grammar.  I do not at all mind reading Kindergarten writing.  In fact, I'm pretty good and figuring out what a child is trying to say in a sentence that only contains 5 letters!  However, I refuse to have to decipher what an ADULT is trying to say in a sentence that is filled with gibberish.  I'm also a believer that when writing anything, you are representing yourself.  What kind of representation do you want to give of yourself?  A well spoken person who can hold a conversation in a normal adult manner, or someone who can't form a proper sentence and is hard to understand?  Something to think about anyway.

I'll step off my soap box now...

2 comments:

The Chilcote Family said...

I am so glad that this post was not about gum stuck in hair or found in a hidden spot ;) Have a lovely day and be sure to laugh out loud!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 1000%. I wonder if the next generation will even be able to spell or write a correct sentence!
Mom